Before You Move:
- Notify post office, charge accounts, credit card companies, utility companies, past employer (for tax return purposes), subscriptions, family and friends, etc. of address change
- Close out local bank accounts and set up new bank account, if necessary
- Notify insurance companies of new location for coverage
- Obtain school records, legal records and other important documents
- Obtain medical records and history, transfer prescriptions, and research/request referrals for doctors, dentists, specialists, etc. in new town
- Use up perishables, defrost freezer, clean refrigerator
- Prepare large appliances and rugs for proper moving
- Notify and register children in new school
- Request a relocation package from your REALTOR® or the city’s Chamber of Commerce
On Moving Day:
- Double check rooms, closets, and cabinets for possible items left behind
- Make sure children have books and games to keep entertained during travel
- Prepare pets for transportation
- Carry jewelry and important documents on your person
- Leave all old keys needed for new tenant with your REALTOR®
At Your New Address:
- Check on utility services – gas, electric, water, telephone, etc.
- If relocating to new state, register car within 5 days of arrival and apply for state driver’s license
- If staying within state, obtain a driver’s license with your new address on it
- Register children in school if you haven’t done so already
- Set up new patient appointments with doctors, dentist, etc.
- Explore your neighborhood!